Search This Blog

Saturday, September 5, 2020

A Memorable Closet in Key West

The furor over the allegations President Trump denigrated members of the military are troubling on so many levels. I will leave it right there and let the electorate decide how to judge him.  I have been going to write this particular blog for several months and then stopped. I planned to expand it and give many other examples of items left behind in closets when people leave their homes. The Trump allegations about the military brought into focus one moment in real estate that I will never forget.

In early 2009 a friend and fellow Realtor listed the above house at 924 Flagler Avenue in Key West. The MLS listing described the house as follows:
"Welcome to 1935. This home is the first home built in the Casa Marina development. It was built by Mr. Edward Strunk, and has been in his family since that time. This lovely architectural time piece is in very good condition and has a fabulous lot ( approx. 100' x 125'). The floors throughout are of decorative Cuban Tile,and the bathrooms and kitchen are original. A sun porch brings wonderful light and breezes throughout the house. This is a one of a kind opportunity!!!"
 It was and still is a remarkable piece of Key West history and architecture. I got inside the day it was listed and contacted a buyer who I had been working with and convinced him to make a sight unseen cash offer. He did and the offer was accepted. He flew down to Key West a few days later for the inspection. We stood across admiring the house before went inside for the inspection. A man riding his bicycle rode over to us and said something like "You're too late! Somebody bought it before anybody else had a chance!"

My buyer and I walked through the property room by room taking everything in. The seller no longer lived in the house which was empty with a few items of furniture and knick knacks left behind.  We went upstairs to look at the three bedrooms. I remember walking into the southwest bedroom where I opened the closet door and saw it. I took a picture. It was that important. 
I searched my old shoebox but I could not fine the photo I took So I did a GOOGLE SEARCH and found the above of an Ike Jacket from World War II.  I am sure the seller kept that jacket as a remembrance of his service. World War II was a moment of great importance to most Americans - actually, most people in the world who were affected by that war. Preserving his service jacket was a small way of remembering what he did in the war. Those who served remember. Those who lost members of their family remember.


No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell