Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2020

312 Margaret Street, Key West - Newly Renovated Home near the Seaport

Just Listed, but not by me, 312 Margaret Street, Key West. This freshly and stylishly renovated home is located one block from the historic seaport or Key West Bight by locals. Decades before selfies and slurpees were common sights at the Key West sea port, spongers and shrimpers would bright their catch to the docks located a block or so to the north. Once the shrimp, fish, and even turtle catches were brought off the boats and processed. Today the seaport is mostly tourist related business Commercial buildings have been renovated and repurposed and houses big and small have also been restored or renovated.


The docks have been rebuilt. Yachts, tour boats, and fish restaurants will be found at the sea port now.


I found the above photo of 312 Margaret Street in my old shoebox. Then I searched the Historic Sanborn Fire Maps and learned that the house existed on the first map dated 1889 and was then numbered 311 Margaret. The street number was changed on the 1892 map. The first map showed the front portion of the house and a one and one-half story with a one story in the rear. The roof line suggests the rear roof was a later addition.  The lot to the north was vacant for years. Today there is a cluster of five small cottages.  Harpoon Harry's is located about one hundred feet to the north.

I found the above photo in two previous MLS listings which suggested all the things a new owner could do. Well, the current owner did them and now the house is available for purchase as shown. Let's take a look.

Yesterday was the very first time I ever saw the inside of this house. I opened the mahogany door and stood there just a moment to take it all in. I turned to my right and saw a bedroom configured as a sitting room. I looked forward and saw the living room and then the pool beyond. I thought to myself, I like this place.

The builder used pocket doors in a couple of areas including this room. Double pocket doors open from the entry/kitchen into the room. Another pocket door opens into the bathroom/laundry which has a third pocket door which opens back into the entry. All of the windows are wind impact resistant. The window casings are painted crisp white. Down lights are featured in most rooms. The Dade County Pine walls in this room were sanded and preserved. New engineered heart pine wood floors were added on both levels. There is also a fire suppression system on both levels.

I couldn't resist. I slid the back door open and walked around the pool. It was in the mid 80s yesterday. Just perfect Key West weather. There is plenty of space for sunning and lounging. The decks are Ipe and the pool is real - not a spa. I checked around, I did not see any adjacent property with a pool or deck view.

This is the second guest bedroom and en-suite bath. I stopped midway thru the room and turned around. Recessed light coves were built into the walls as places to hold swing arm lamps and cleverly become built-in bed stands for places to put things. Ingenious. I do not recall seeing anything like that before. It may not be original, but it certain is clever and useful.


This bathroom is amazing. Colorful tiles cover the floor and frame the window which beckons you to look out. So I did. I took two terrible photos and missed the pool except for a smidgen. I checked again. No house has a view looking into the pool area or into the bath.


The master bedroom and en-suite bath are located at the front of the house. I stood near the door and took in the space - in is quite large yet comfy. Four windows on the front and one on the south allow subdued light into the space.

CLICK  HERE to view the Key West MLS datasheet and more photos of 312 Margaret Street offered for sale (unfurnished) at $2,440,000. The furniture may be purchased separately. Then please call me, Gary Thomas, 305-766-2642, to schedule a private appointment to view this freshly renovated 1,916 Sq Ft 3/3/ home. It has two off street parking spaces. I am a buyers agent and a full time Realtor at Preferred Properties Key West.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice renovation. Will never bring that price.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful rehab. History: used to be a bordello in the recent past. Rooms were rented out hourly. I know, I was in it! (Not for that reason though). Will sell for about 1.75$. Gorgeous makeover.

Anonymous said...

The use was when it was rented, this occurred WITHOUT the owners approval!

Gary Thomas said...

A female Realtor friend used to live there. But i doubt she had anything with floozies. But maybe.
Gary

Anonymous said...

Bingo

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell