Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Key West Real Estate Horror Story No. 21

I wrote a blog several years ago about a just listed fixer-upper. The long time owners had passed and a family member listed the property for sale. I showed the house several times. I liked it and the location. Somebody bought it and later renovated it. 

That house was on a lock box, not typical for Key West. I got to the house a bit early, turned on the lights, opened the doors to make the place as inviting as possible. The entire house was dusty and smelly. I don't know how long it had been since anyone lived there. I remember it felt like the place had been vacant for years. My customers had bought a couple houses from me before and seemed interested in this place. I left them alone to explore and talk. I noticed several dusty photo albums in the room upstairs. I did a nosey. There were family photos of the kids playing ball on the street in front of the house and other photos of the neighborhood. I loved that. Then there were photos of some of the family members in New York City taken during or just after World War II.

Then I saw something odd - many (not a few or several) photos of what I assume were family members sleeping - in a hotel room in New York City and later back in Key West. Lots and lots of candid sleeping photos. The above pic is an example and not of the photos I saw. I thought these were beyond quirky - more like fetish photos. This just was not normal. That's all. There is no point to this tale of Key West other than I should not have opened the photo album. I know that. 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, similar story. A few years back a realtor friend called me about an as is “shack” for sale in old town a few streets away. He knew I’m always looking at investments, good, bad, or ugly. I knew the owner. We exchanged hellos now and then, nothing more. I also knew he was a methamphetamine user from his numerous appearances on the Monroe sheriff website. The owner had passed.
Well I meet at the “shack” for a walk through. Roof was a tarp. The interior was worse then the exterior if that can be imagined. Floors and walls wood planks, no drywall, no insulation, electric wiring exposed to. Kitchen consisted of a farm sink, water lines exposed also. Bed consisted of wood planks, no mattress. I was amazed a living human could call this home.
I passed on this one, and funny this place was purchased cash, and is still in condition it was years back. I think it’s being lived in.
Only in Key West.

Joseph Graham said...

You call it a tale without a point. I call it a slice of life in Key West. One I wouldn't have known about had you not shared it. Thank you for doing so. And thanks to the gentleman who authored the comment above. I enjoyed reading that as well.

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell