Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Nanny Cams in Key West


The first time I encountered a Nanny cam was ten years ago. I remember seeing various cameras throughout the house. I "knew" the owners socially.  They bought the house when it was a bank owned property and the renovated it. They furnished the place and rented it as a monthly vacation rental. As I looked around the house I thought it very odd that there were Nanny cams located everywhere. I immediately determined that I would feel violated if I rented a house like this and knew that someone could be watching and or listening to what I did and said. I did not sell that house so my personal suspicions ended that day. Except I remembered them ten years later. In fact I recall them ever so often as I see new versions of hidden cams on television photographing home invasions, thefts, child abuse, senior abuse, dog antics, and more.

Some readers may know that Key West has a lot of seasonal owners. Some people call them snow birds. Many arrive in late October or early November and stay until the end of April or May. A couple of years ago I was showing the house of a snowbird to prospective buyers. The house as quite impressive. Grand in fact. Maybe even over-the-top. I trailed my customers as they went from room to room, floor by floor. I kept noticing cameras everywhere. At the same time I was befuddled by the some of the design elements in the house. It looked like some mad queen from Hollywood played a trick on the owner and got him to do some very gay things. While my customers were looking around on the second floor I asked the listing agent it the seller was "gay". He got a look of horror on his face and said NO. And no thanks for asking. Later I asked other people about that owner. They all told me he was married to a woman as if that is proof of something. I still had my suspicions. But thinking back on the moment I asked the gay question, I wondered if the microphone was engaged. Did the owner hear my inquiry?

I have been seeing more Nanny cams in houses in Key West. I can usually spot them. I don't blame owners wanting to keep an eye on their place. Before I decided to write today's blog I did a quick Google to see if spy cams and recordings are legal in Florida. Cameras may be as long as notice is given. I am not so sure that audio recordings are. I think I taught my self a lesson when I questioned the challenged the style of that homeowners haven. From now on I am keeping my mouth shut and will advise the potential buyer to do so as well. And if I were to represent a seller with such a system, I would suggest they purposefully never watch or listen to someone viewing their home with a Realtor. Hearing what someone has to say about your drapes or lawn is not worth the cost of a lawsuit.

 


No comments:

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell