Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Novel Hovel

A few weeks ago I was taking photos for my ongoing series The Projects of Key West. One of the houses I have been photographing is located on a quiet little lane in Old Town. Some lanes are actually streets in that they allow street traffic in both directions and may have on street parking on a least one side. Others are  more narrow and may allow vehicle traffic in one direction. Some lanes like Carey Lane dead end and require cars to back out because there is not turn around space. Still others are quite narrow and only pedestrian access is allowed. Or not allowed. That's the true story today. 

Several years ago I was having a planned phone conversation with buyers in a faraway city. We were discussing a house hidden away on a one way street that was only one block long where it dead ended. It was a genuine street in another locations so it was officially a street and not a lane. Except it functioned like a lane where the house was located. The house and lot were intriguing and would require a lot of money to renovate but which would have resulted in a truly epic home on a large lot which hardly anybody would ever see because it was so hidden. That' rub for some men or women - having spent so much time and money to create such an incredible place that nobody would see. How would people recognize your talent? Your worth? If a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? You get my point. Other men and women build small or big houses in more prominent locations so that the public can absolutely see their accomplishment. 

I have sold several houses on small lanes. Owners have told me how they feel about living on a lane - mostly nothing ever happens there. Life is quite. Neighbors mind their own business. That is probably why they chose lane life in the first place. In fact I know it is for at least this one dude who I encountered taking photos. These are all photos and not of the house or location described today.

So this guy who lives in what I would call a novel hovel. Some would call it a house. Not I. There was a wood fence protecting it from prying eyes. Which I was accused of having done. He sprang out of nowhere and said I was photographing his home. I was not. I was photographing the renovation across the lane. I suggested two things. One that he call the police. I said I would wait until they came because the evidence or lack thereof was in my camera. Two referred to what he could do to himself. That made him more angry. I took more pictures and left. I'm sure he had a pleasant rest of the day in his novel hovel.

Not the house I photographs.  But sort of like the house that is being built which you will see in a few months time. I respect why people choose to live on small lanes and in prominent locations. Some people want privacy and others notoriety. That guy got me all wrong. I am judgmental of him after the fact and probably shaming where he lives (that's bad). It is his castle and I respect that. Not him.


 


 
 

1 comment:

Joseph Graham said...

Great story. Especially the "how will everyone ever recognize my talent and my taste!" part. Absolutely scandalous! And what a truism about Key West. I think anyone who has spent any length of time walking the streets and lanes of Old Town has been accosted by at least one certifiable nut. It's happened to me several times. And One of these times, I'll probably be the nut!

Disclaimer

The information on this site is for discussion purposes only. Under no circumstances does this information constitute a recommendation to buy or sell securities, assets, real estate, or otherwise. Information has not been verified, is not guaranteed, and is subject to change.
Powered By Blogger

Counter



Free Counter

Key West

Key West
You could be here!

Blog Archive

Gary Thomas in a Nutshell